Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Nike, Inc.'s storytellers, Marketing and Communication sets the brand tone. A creative force of specialists tell Nike’s stories of innovation and sport through advertising, brand strategy, digital engagement and product presentation. Using channels ranging from retail stores to social media, Marketing & Communication teams connect the science and art of Nike innovations to the hearts and minds of athletes around the world. Description
- Global Brand Writing is searching for exceptional editorial/creative directors to lead storytelling for our sports categories. As a ground-floor member of a brand-new team, Editorial, the Writing Director will have the rare opportunity to enrich, dimensionalize, and evolve the Nike brand voice for one of three categories [Global Football (soccer); NikeWomen; Nike Sportswear] through authentic, engaging storytelling. As a key member of a tight category squad, you will partner with design, editorial plan, brand marketing, and operations to bring this new team to life. Reporting into the Sr. Director, Global Brand Writing — Editorial, you will be responsible for game-changing creative ideas, keenly strategic concepting, and insightful direction of writers.
The ideal candidate is a wordsmith who knows both the magic and the mechanics of writing, and has a sixth sense for storytelling, no matter the format. S/he doesn’t just understand but is fluent in the nuances/pitfalls/opportunities of writing for a brand and knows how to balance the demands of a brief with the truths of creative instinct. The Writing Director is an agile collaborator with design directors and has a demonstrated multidisciplinary outlook on creative writing (from IGTV stories to billboards to CTAs to wildpostings). The right person for this role will have an innate connection to culture (and a side project or two to prove it). And it goes without saying: a love for the craft of writing and a belief in the power of sport are musts.
Evangelize writing, storytelling, and the Editorial team through excellent guidance, high-quality ideas, collaborative skills, and cross-functional thinking
Learn, wield, and dimensionalize the Nike brand voice for your category
Collaborate nimbly with squad partners in design, plan, and operations to create best-in-class stories for your category
Embrace and infuse metrics, data, and metrics into the creative process, and evolve the work based on learnings
Develop and mentor your category’s writers; develop and direct third-party creative partners
Establish guidelines, best practices, and resources for your category’s writers
Continually shape, evolve, and improve processes and partnerships
Live the category – attend the games, read the blogs, champion the sport
- Experience working for sports-related brands or publications
- Startup, launch, or other “ground-floor” experience
- Case study or strategy portfolio to supplement writing portfolio
- Passion projects / creative endeavors outside work (e.g. a band / magazine / shop)
- B.A. in English, Creative Writing, Journalism, or a related field
- Minimum 8 years of experience writing for industry-leading brands or publications
- 3+ years of instructing writers
- Multidisciplinary writer with experience working across multiple channels and story formats
- Portfolio that demonstrates exceptional written, conceptual, and strategic capabilities
- Ability to pair creative writing with data/metrics/best practices and produce results
- Experience working in or with key North American markets (e.g. NYC, LA) and global markets (e.g. Europe, Asia, Latin America)
- Demonstrated understanding of how to shepherd creative ideas within corporate/business landscapes
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID 00425304