The Color, Graphic and Materials Senior Design Manager leads the Performance Footwear surface design category and team members. This leader will manage footwear materials and colors through the design and product creation process, providing direction, mentoring and feedback. The Senior Design Manager will have direct responsibility for designing materials and applying colors and color strategies that works within the overall seasonal design themes.
Reports to Vice President of Innovation and Design, Performance Business Unit
Supervises: 3-5 Designers
Primarily Interacts with Internally/Externally: Footwear Design, Creative direction, Footwear Innovation Team, Product Marketing, Development, T1 and T2 suppliers, MDI
- Seasonal material toolbox creation and new material design
- Seasonal color application and color footwear application strategy
- Support Color team in creation of New Seasonal pallete
- Create + Manage color plots following the color paletteProvide designs for Footwear projects
- Strong participation within the creative group with ideas, concepts, technologies and new initiatives and stories.
- Mentor the Senior Designers, Designers, Associate Designers, and Apprentices so that their projects fall within the established timelines to meet the product creation calendar.
- Develop the skills of the Surface Design Team so that he can take on more technically challenging projects.
- Assist the Design VP and Design Directors with leading the group and maintaining goals.
- Manage the Surface Design Team and assist the Design VP as needed
- Present team’s ideas and designs to Senior Management and other key partners in the Product Creation Process.
- Supervise the design work of the Senior Designers, Designers and Associate Designers on the team in accordance with the specific brief
- Supervise the design work of the Senior Designers, Designers and Associate Designers in accordance with the Reebok Creation calendar so that work is completed in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Product Marketing to ensure that each new material is relevant for the distribution level.
- Understand the needs of the category globally by working closely our international employees and through consumer research.
- Understand Reebok’s best practices for materials and color so that these are adhered to or challenge them and improve upon them.
- Understand Reebok’s competitor’s products at all price points.
- Pursue new concepts that would be considered breakthrough technologies or innovative products for Reebok.
- Understand how colors, graphics, materials and treatments can impact each product in the category and develop creative ways to apply these to Reebok’s footwear in an innovative manner.
- Work closely with Development to ensure that new ideas and designs are manufacturable and can achieve margin targets.
- Travel with the team (delvelopment, product marketing) whenever possible to gather information about the consumers or to work on products at the development centers, footwear factories or component/material suppliers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to manage a creative team of people.
- Ability to technically address materials and material creation at an advanced level.
- Ability to take design from 2D drawing to 3D model to finished product at an advanced level.
- Well established knowledge of materials and footwear manufacturing process.
- Ability to design to performance and aesthetic needs for the category. .
- Ability to effectively understand and interact with Marketing, Engineering, and Production functions.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and knowledge to other Design employees.
- Ability to travel with the team to manufacturing facilities around the world when requireD
- 8+ years of Graphic, Color or Materials design experience
- 2+ years Footwear Design experience
- Has managed designers in a supervisory role
The Reebok brand has moved their HQ to a 220,000 square-foot section of the Innovation and Design Building in Boston’s Seaport District. This move has brought community fitness to a next generation design and innovation space; the all new workplace fosters a vibrant collaborative culture and allows the brand to be closely connected to the community in Boston. Alongside state-of-the-art office spaces, the headquarters is equipped with an employee fitness center and a retail store.