Converse does more than create the most iconic and well-loved sneakers in the world. Born in sports and made for the street, it is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. We seek people who can lead, grow, think, dream, and create. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. Converse seeks achievers, leaders, and visionaries. At Converse, it’s about each person bringing their authentic self, skills, and passion to serve the daring spirit of youth.
Converse Designers combine relentless curiosity and passion for street style and sport to transform the insights of our consumers into innovations that advance the independent spirit of youth. A diverse community with expertise in footwear and graphic design as well as color and materials; communicators and conceptual thinkers, Converse Design delivers innovation from insight to in-store and beyond.
As the Senior Creative Director of Global Footwear, you will be part of the Global Design and Innovation Team, based at Converse headquarters in Boston, MA. In this role, you will report to the Global VP Design & Innovation / Creative Director
and lead the footwear design team to provide design direction, strategy and leadership at a product, category and brand level. You will work with the product creation team by providing consumer relevant design solutions based on inspiration from fashion, street culture, art & design, technology and sport as well as from consumer and marketplace data. As the Sr Director, you perfectly balance the creative thinking as well as leading a team of innovative, passionate and new and experienced designers. You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and engage in hands-on exploration and prototyping. You enjoy concepting as well as obsessing every detail to ensure a rich product experience.
In short, your enthusiasm and solid design and leadership expertise plays a big role in elevating the design excellence at Converse.
Leads and directs the global footwear creative design team; providing concept, direction, vision, continuity, and critical evaluation of projects effecting Converse’s product excellence, category direction, and business strategies on a global basis.
Determines, innovates, and evolves creative design philosophy and strategies consistent with Converse design ethos. Shares outcomes and provides motivation and inspiration to design staff and matrix partners.
Oversees and reviews project/product design, vision, goals, and mission of Design groups, relating that direction to Converse business strategy.
Responsible for creative and design integrity as well as ensuring continuity. Coordinate and link creative and design groups to ensure a cohesive unit that delivers a consistent design message.
Build, direct, lead, and develop a creative and responsive design management team. Create an atmosphere that fosters innovative thinking, collaboration, and teamwork.
Develop and maintain an understanding of divisional business goals and values and works collaboratively with business and marketing partners to enhance design and group effectiveness. Participate and influence content of business plans and budget.
Communicate Converse’s design philosophy to the public and strengthen ties with outside design community through presentations and speeches.
- Minimum of 10 years progressively technically sophisticated experience in product design roles, including at least 5 years progressively responsible leadership roles.
- Strong financial skills and knowledge including ability to optimize resources to create profitability.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in local market language, including meeting facilitation and presentations. Strong ability to effectively communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience.
- Ability to effectively elevate strategic concerns to senior management in a timely and accurate manner. Strong ability to develop high-profile, influential, and collaborative relationships across teams, functions, and geographies.
- Sound judgment and ability to contribute meaningfully to the determination of policy and strategy.
- Ability to motivate others, deal with ambiguity, and effectively collaborate in decision-making.