Does building a scalable suite of platform services to handle the needs of millions of consumers of Nike Training, Nike Running, and other Nike+ applications pique your interest? Are you passionate about creating experiences which help motivate millions of people to run and train? If so, come join App Platform Engineering team in the Nike Digital Engineering group to be at the forefront of this technology movement!
Nike does more than gear-up the world’s best athletes. Nike is a place to explore your potential, obliterate boundaries, and push out the edges of what can be. Are you looking for passionate technologists who can grow, think, dream and create? We thrive in a culture that embraces diversity and rewards imagination.
At Nike, it’s about bringing your skills and talents to a challenging and constantly evolving game in a supportive work environment.
Traits of the Ideal Person for This Job:
• You constantly love to learn, grow, and effectively bring new ideas into the group.
• You have relevant professional experience or a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, (or another relevant field) with good working knowledge of basic computer science data structures and algorithms.
• You can design and build web services and event processors using AWS and JVM technologies.
• Your broad spectrum of knowledge about database paradigms, programming languages, and frameworks inform your decisions.
• You understand scalable, highly available, and eventually consistent distributed systems.
• You have excellent written and oral communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
The Team’s Engineering Environment
Nike Digital Engineering is a big place. Our primary concern is supporting the Nike Run Club and Nike Training Club apps with a team that has a diverse spectrum of experience levels – from industry veterans to junior engineers.
Our production code is usually written for the JVM, mostly in Java/Scala, and deployed on EC2. The architecture is highly distributed and decoupled, favoring availability over consistency.
We operate the systems we develop and have a rotating on-call schedule for off-hours contact but during office hours, the team as a whole handles incidents. Getting paged is rare.
We practice continuous delivery - every merged pull request goes directly to production with appropriate feature flagging. Our automation is typically scripted in python or ruby with AWS CloudFormation as the backbone of our deployment architecture.
As a Member of the Team, You’ll Be Expected To:
• Successfully operate within our engineering environment and help it evolve over time.
• Review your peers’ technical designs, code, and tests, giving supportive feedback and asking good questions.
• Work in a collaborative environment that rewards experiments, initiative, curiosity, and mentoring.
• Lead technical planning, estimation, and design sessions, monitor the overall technical progress of the project and actively plan for upcoming deliverables, profile and performance tuning your work to ensure we deliver the efficient and optimized service experience
• Use your database knowledge to design data storage for security, reliability, availability, maintainability, and performance.
• Deliver solutions using scalable, resilient, cloud-native patterns
• Practice DevOps ensuring a culture of testing and releasing software on AWS continuously using automation and monitoring.
• Partner with other engineering and product teams to loosely couple the service ecosystem and scalable.
• Work with teams dedicated to mobile development, physiological science, and user experience.
Our Commitment to You
This team addresses complex problems using uncommon technology and methods. However, if you have the foundational knowledge and the drive to learn the above, we are here to support you in reaching that goal.
• 5-7 years of software development experience
• Work in a highly collaborative environment where you’ll be able to share ideas with other engineers, architects, product managers, and business stakeholders
• Deploy and support services in a distributed/cloud-based environment
• Work in a micro services architecture, use domain driven design and implement RESTful services using languages such as Java, Node.js or Scala
• Experience with NoSQL stores like Dynamo DB
• Work with AWS technologies like Elasticsearch, Kinesis, AWS Lambda, Redis, Redshift, EC2, DynamoDB and S3
• Continuously integrate, write unit tests, perform static code analysis, create automated integration and performance tests
• Work in an agile environment and scrum team
• DevOps for solutions
• Participating in on-call support for applications
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or other relevant subject area
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID: 00438346